Using HP printers is now easy and convenient through a Wi-Fi connection. You can now print your documents at any place, anytime. Moreover, you can now print documents from your phone.
Not every HP printer operates with a wireless network. Therefore, before you continue, ensure that your printer can connect to the internet.
Below are different ways you can apply to connect your printer to Wi-Fi.
Table of Contents
1- Automatic Connection
You can automatically connect your printer to a wireless network using HP Auto Wireless Connection. You do not need cable connections or any network settings like the name or password.
You have to install your printer’s software first for you to use this method.
- Find the HP Support page to download the software and key in your printer model. Based on your Operating System, download the driver and observe the on-screen guide for installation.
- Switch on your printer, then run the software.
- When prompted for the type of network connection (Ethernet or Wireless), select “Wireless” and click “Yes, send my wireless settings to the printer.”
Finally, let your printer connect. It can take a few minutes, but once it is done, click “Finish.” Your HP printer is now set.
2- Wireless Setup Wizard
You can use Wireless Setup Wizard to connect your HP printer to Wi-Fi on the printer’s control panel. Apply this method only on the HP printers with graphic display.
- Turn on your printer.
- Remove any Ethernet or USB cables from the printer.
- Tap on the Wireless icon from your printer’s control panel or proceed to the “Network” menu.
- Choose “Wireless Settings” and tap “Wireless Setup Wizard.”
- Select your network, enter the WPA or WEP key and then click “OK.”
Tip: If your Wi-Fi name does not appear in the list, you should “Enter New Network Name” manually.
Read also some of the Best Cardstock printers in 2021
3- Using Wi-Fi Protect Setup (WPS)
If your HP printer and router support WPS push-button mode, you can connect the printer to Wi-Fi by just pushing a button on your router and printer within two minutes.
- On your printer, press the WPS button. If your printer doesn’t have a physical button, find the control panel and start the WPS push-button mode. Tap the “Wireless” menu, then click “Wi-Fi Protected Setup.” Follow the on-screen guide to complete your set-up. Choose the WPS Button option, then;
- On your route, press the WPS push-button within two minutes.
Tip: If requested to enter the PIN, look at the printer. If the pin does not show up, you can find it in the “Wi-Fi Protected Setup.”
4- Connect the HP Printer With no Router
You don’t need an internet connection to complete the print job. HP Wireless Direct and Wi-Fi Direct enable printing documents directly from your computer, tablets, or smartphones. You need to connect your gadget to your printer’s HP Wi-Fi, like other wireless networks.
Both the HP Wireless Direct and Wi-Fi Direct allows the direct connection to your computer, but they are different. For instance, Wi-Fi Direct enables your gadget to maintain an internet connection simultaneously. However, you can not access the network when using HP Wireless Direct.
So, how do You Connect to HP Wireless Direct or Wi-Fi Direct?
- Switch on Wi-Fi Direct or HP Wireless Direct on your printer’s control panel. Tap the HP Wireless Direct icon, or you can go to the “Wireless Setting” or “Network Setup” menu and tap “Wireless Direct” and activate the connection.
- On your mobile or computer devices, connect to HP Wireless Direct or Wi-Fi Direct the way you would with another wireless network.
- You’ll have to enter the WPA2 password if you are using HP Wireless Direct or Wi-Fi Direct on security.
- Open a photo or document on your mobile devices or computer devices, click “File,” then “Print.”
- For smartphones, you can tap Print from the app menu. If the app does not support printing, get the late latest version of the HP Printer Service Plugin application.
If you experience problems with the connection or your printer isn’t working, the immediate thing to do is update the HP printer driver.
Drivers are the translators for the printer and your computer. Therefore, printing won’t be possible if the driver is corrupt or outdated.
1- Update Your Printer Manually
For the latest updates, you can visit HP Support for Software and Driver Download.
2- Update Your Printer Automatically
- Download and install “Drive Easy.”
- Run “Drive Easy” and click the “Scan Now” button.
- Click “update” next to the printer driver to automatically download the right version and manually install it.
- Or Click “Update all” for automatic download and installation of the right drive versions.
- Perform a restart so that the changes can take effect.
Connecting your HP printer to Wi-Fi isn’t that complicated. Unless your computer or printer has an underlying issue (have that checked), one of the methods I’ve detailed has to work.
Fascinated by science from an early age, Jason has always been drawn to learning and experiencing technology. From learning about light through his passion for photography, building out PCs, and printing 3D models life couldn’t be better. When he isn’t writing about all things 3D printing related he enjoys reading, watch soccer and enjoy with his family.